Adding an outdoor kitchen to your home is becoming more and more popular. Taking your great indoor kitchen designs and using them outdoors can make for a unique selling feature.
Nothing multiplies your entertaining options like installing a brand new outdoor kitchen. Outdoor kitchens can come with a variety of different features and options to make your home more enjoyable.
There are several different reasons to add an outdoor kitchen to your home including:
- Outdoor kitchens add to the market value of your home.
- They make it easier for your family to enjoy the outdoors.
- Outdoor kitchens are convenient for barbeques and outdoor parties.
- Cooking inside during the summer can add unwanted heat in your house.
When you decide your home would greatly benefit from an outdoor kitchen, it is time to start the design process. Design an outdoor kitchen requires different building materials and features than your indoor kitchen. Here are some tips for designing your outdoor kitchen.
Think About a Layout
Your first step in designing an outdoor kitchen is to think about your layout and the area where you will be building your outdoor kitchen.
- Is this area completely outdoors or is there an awning covering it?
- Is it by a pool?
- Do you have to add flooring or is there already a patio or deck space available?
- Are you going to have to add an eating area as well?
Answering these few questions can help you start thinking about the layout for your new outdoor kitchen. You want to add convenience and functionality through your entire design. Do your online research and think about the features that would make cooking outdoors easier for your specific style of cooking.
Build Out Of Low Maintenance Materials
When you are designing your outdoor kitchen, it is important that you consider the types of material that you are going to use throughout your entire kitchen. Choosing low maintenance countertops, cabinets and flooring can make using your outdoor kitchen more enjoyable. The easier that your outdoor kitchen is to maintain, the more you will use and enjoy your investment.
- Natural stone is a great material to use when you are building from the floor up. They are low maintenance, and they can give your kitchen a more natural, rustic feel. This building material can also work for counter-tops and other table top areas in your outdoor kitchen.
- Stainless steel is also a great material to use outdoors because it can be weather resistant, and it is easy to clean.
- High density poly ethaline, or HDPE, is also a popular choice of material when building outdoor kitchens. This marine grade plastic is FDA approved for food services, and it can most commonly be found in commercial kitchens. However, it works great in a residential outdoor kitchen too.
- Brick can be a great building material for outdoor kitchens as well. This material can make your kitchen flow more naturally with the exterior appearance of your home. Brick is a weatherproof material, and it will create a durable design.
Add Unique Features
Your outdoor kitchen design plan can have a variety of different features. You can use this space to incorporate unique features for your home that your indoor kitchen lacks. Unique features will help make your outdoor kitchen more functional while also giving it a unique twist to make it stand out from other outdoor kitchen designs. Here are some unique features that you can add to your outdoor kitchen design plan:
- BBQ Grill – There are a number of different grills that you can add to your outdoor kitchen, but first you need to consider what kind of taste you want your food to have. Charcoal grilled food can taste totally different that food that has been cooked on a gas grill.
- Fireplaces – A fireplace can add to the look and the appearance of your outdoor kitchen while still being fully functional. You can easily adapt a fireplace to make it an extra area to cook. This will bring the nice, smoked flavor to your food. A fireplace can also make your outdoor kitchen functional during the winter.
- Sound System – This feature is for entertainment purposes only. Everyone enjoys good music playing while they are having an outdoor party. A sound system can help make sure the music flows throughout the entire night.
- A Fully Stocked Bar – Nothing goes better with an outdoor kitchen than a refreshing, cold beverage. Your guest will appreciate the chance to have whatever drink they desire while enjoying your outdoor patio area.
When you are looking to build an outdoor kitchen onto your home, you should have a professional remodeling contractor help you with the design process. Take these useful design tips to your contractor and work together to create your dream outdoor cooking area.